Friday, August 12, 2011

One Unsolicited Lesson for The Job Search

The job search has been on my mind a lot lately as summer quickly comes to a close. The thought of finding a real, full-time job does elicit a sense of anticipation and excitement from time to time, but more than often it causes pure anxiety. Where to even begin?

I undoubtedly have the experience, and I think I've built a nice little network along the way through my internships and graduate studies. But I always have a lingering concern that I could be doing more. So my worrywart self naturally had the job hunt on the brain once again today.

I was browsing through the Letters to the Editor on Boston.com, and I stumbled across one from a Brandeis graduate titled “It was just one unsolicited email, and she read it.” The author explained that during his first year in law school he sent Myra Kraft an email seeking advice for breaking into the business of sports and entertainment law. Some time later the student received an e-mail from a senior attorney working for the Krafts regarding their office and legal internship program. Not only had Kraft read the email, but she had taken the time to help the young man out as well.

The author’s story perfectly exemplified the type of woman Myra Kraft was: genuinely kind and thoughtful. He wrote to illustrate just that, and he did so successfully.

But the letter did more than that for me. It showed the importance of having a go-getter attitude. The author was pleasantly surprised when he received a response. He obviously wasn't expecting one. But he sent the email anyway; what was there to lose? Nothing. Just a whole lot to gain, and he got lucky.

Good for him. Closed mouths don’t get fed.

Moral of the story: Be kind, but also take risks when it comes to looking for work, regardless of how far-fetched it may seem. Got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment