Wednesday, June 2, 2010

some insight...

After an amazing, eye-opening, exhausting, short, yet still long, two weeks in London, Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome, and Dublin, I'm home. I have so much to write about, and I've promised myself that I'll get it all down before I forget any good details, and I will! But laundry, dunkin donuts, and a nice, long workout are calling my name, and I know once I start writing I'll be sitting here for hours...so for now I will simply say that my trip was incredible & life changing. I saw some really amazing things that allowed me to experience history in a way that I never have before. By being emerged in cultures other than my own, I came to terms with some of the differences, and I appreciated the similarities between my own way of life. But more than anything, I realized how proud I am of what our country stands for. We aren't perfect, and we have a lot of learning and improving to do as a nation, but the fact that we can even consider a United States that's any different than it is now says something. We have the ability to change, and we have the right to have a say in it. We have the right to criticize our government, the right to speak out against injustices without having to fear for our own safety, and the right to control our own futures. I for one have often taken that freedom as a God-given right, as something I'm entitled to as a human being, as a universal privilege, but that isn't exactly the case. Each and every American has the opportunity to make a difference, and now I see that's something that many people around the world will never know, or feel, or understand. I'm glad to call this place home.

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment