Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hi remember me? Probably not. I know it's been awhile. I'm not here to make excuses for myself, because I don't really have any to make, but at least I'm here.

It's hard to believe that on Saturday it will be a whole year since I graduated from Assumption College. It feels like graduation was just yesterday, yet at the same time so much has changed. It's bittersweet, as most things in life are, but there's a significant emphasis on sweet.

As my first year of grad school comes to an end, it's tough to not get a little sappy about all the great things that have happened to me. I've met some really amazing people who have had a profound impact on me, and I'd like to take the chance to let them know how very thankful I am for it.

Old T.A.'s, especially Sam & Nicole, I hope you realize that I probably wouldn't have made it through my first year without you (seeing that you're graduating, I may not make it through my second). Whether I needed some guidance & inspiration, an ear to listen, a copy machine technician, or just a laugh, you guys were always there (literally, sitting at your desks), regardless of your own crazy agendas. You've left some pretty big shoes to fill (God help me), and life at UMD won't be the same without you. Miss you already!

New T.A.'s, Cassie & Tyler, we made it through our first year! Can you believe it? We've come so far. I have a lot of faith in the ability of you two to hold down the fort next year (me, not so much) and I'm so glad we have another year (or two, or three) together. It's crazy how people that I've known for such a short time could become so important to me, but you have, and I'm grateful for it. Here's to us & another successful year to come after what I hope will be a nice, long summer.

Speaking of summer, I'll be in London this time next week! Crazy how time flies. Probably should get to trip preparation...

2 comments:

  1. awww hugs and cuddles Jessica. GO Team!! Its going to be a great year and we'll have fun this summer too.
    Have fun in europe (even though I'm insanely jealous)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to say a few things:

    For one, I'm glad we made it through our first year together, and I'm glad we met. It's been a rough a crazy year, but it has been worth it just for the people.

    I don't know why you don't think you'll do well next year (I suspect you actually think you'll be just fine...). However, I just want you to know that you are one of the most genuine people I've ever met, and although I've never visited your class, I'm guessing that genuineness comes through in your teaching.

    I really have enjoyed getting to know you this year. You're one of the TA's that I'm always glad to see. You bring a lively and cheerful atmosphere to the office, and your humor is very much appreciated. I'm looking forward to seeing you more often next year. When are you getting a closer apartment? Soon? Yeah, I thought so.

    So thanks for keeping it real this year. It's had its rough times, but at least it's a whole year under our belts.

    Enjoy your trip to Europa. Like Cassie, I am entirely jealous. I'll be back in Mass hopefully by early to mid-August, and I expect us to have many, many more group activities next year. That sound fair?

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete